Sunday, January 17, 2010

Surfing for Steph

(Steph 4 months Pregnant Lake Powell Aug 2009)
Two years ago my cousin Steph came out here to Hawaii and stayed with us. It was the first time that I had spent one and one time with Steph since we are 8 years apart. We had so much fun! Her friend wasn't super adventerous so Steph and I ended up doing everything together, we snorkeled, kayaked, hiked and Steph's favorite surfed. We taught her how to surf and she was instantly hooked. Her last day here she was dying to surf again, I had to work so I dropped her off at Waikiki where I knew she would be safe to surf by herself and when I came back she was STILL surfing. I have yet to see anybody surf for as long as she did and that is saying something because Jared can surf for hours.

Since that time I have often thought of Steph while surfing. On the good days where you catch every wave and have so much fun I would think "so this is what Steph fell in love with." and on the bad days where you are constantly getting smacked around and drink a gallon of sea water I would think "how did Steph like this so fast." I have a love- hate relationship with surfing. It took me about 6 months to even say that I liked it and now finally I can say that I love it, But Steph just Loved it right from the beginning and always wanted to come back here.

We lost Steph in a car accident this past October.
Losing her has brought much sorrow into all of our hearts. She was full of so much life and love!
We all miss her so much and pray for her sweet husband and family!

Every time I have been surfing since she died I have thought of her and just felt as though I needed to do something to honor her life and to thank her for inspiring me to continue to surf.
So Jared and I made a video as a memorial for Steph and to honor her memory by doing what she would be doing if she were here.

So this one is for you Stephy although you are probably surfing in heaven!
We Love You.
You taught us to enjoy life while we can, have fun and to not take anything for granted!
May we all try new things and live life to the fullest!!





A very big Mahalo to my friend Cameo who took time out of her life to help film and edit this video for me. Thank you so much!

7 comments:

Grandma Carolyn said...

That was very sweet of you to post this in Stephanie's honor.

Megz said...

Unique tribute. I liked it. Thanks for sharing.

Cory&SadieK said...

Gina--I loved how you guys did that to honor Steph. I'm sure that she loves it. It was very thoughtful.

Matt n' Jenni said...

That is so awesome Gina. I loved it!

Saundra said...

Great idea. I didn't know your cousin, but I cried.

Rachael Haines said...

What a beautiful way to remember someone you loved. Thanks for sharing...

Jenn said...

G,
Thanks so much for that. It was a wonderful idea. I really miss Steph, especialy when it comes time to do something in the water. She just loved it so much. I think the tribute was perfect, I'll have to make sure my mom sees it.