Friday, March 12, 2010

A birthday and craziness!

Jared turned 34 two Saturday's ago! I know I am super slow at posting but I have good excuses.
(the calm before the storm)
I was so excited for Jared's birthday this year because 1-I finally thought of a couple of great gifts. 2-he actually had the day off for the first time in over a month and by day off I mean he still planned on heading into work to catch up on some things and then we had stake conference from 3 pm to the end of the night. So really it wasn't a day off but for us just a few hours off is a huge deal! 3- I planned a little surprise party for him.

Here was the plan for the day:
Sleep-in: which was the one and only thing Jared really wanted for His Birthday!
Make Waffles with Strawberries and Whip cream for Breakfast
Ship Jared off to his first gift which was a 1 hour massage
Then give him his second gift which was a Dart board. Things have been a bit tense and crazy at his work right now, so I thought the dart board would give him a nice outlet to let out some steam. What I can't tell you is what was on the dart board! You will just have to let your imagination fly with that one.
Then Sunday was his Surprise party.

Here is What really happened that day:
First -off we stayFont sizeed up late Friday night because we thought we would be sleeping-in Sat. morning but instead at 6 in the blasted A.M. we hear the tsunami sirens go off. So we get up and Jared finds out he has 6 missed calls already! He immediately starts calling all the ward leaders and setting up a plan for emergency evacuation.

I start filling up everything in our house with water including the tub!
Pull out the 72 hour kits, make Kailie some eggs for breakfast instead of yummy waffles.
8 am Jared has all the ward alerted to the plans and goes up to the church to make sure everyone who was up there(it is high-up and was used as an evacuation place) was okay!
By the time he gets home we are both exhausted and have no idea what is going to happen in the next few hours. It is really weird to have advance notice of natural disasters because you prepare for the worst and try to plan for everything but then when nothing happens, it is really hard to just pick back up your normal life.

12 p.m. -2 p.m. we spent up at the church. Come home all fall asleep. Sleep completely through the 3 pm priesthood session and the dinner we were invited to by the stake president. Yes, they still held Stake Conference and guess what the topic was on?? Emergency Preparedness-which had been assigned as the topic months ago!! Pretty ironic!

6:30 p.m. I run Jared up to the stake center because our 4runner was broken and we were supposed to get it fixed that day but obviously that didn't happen. While Jared is at Stake conf. I run around trying to hurry and bake two cakes, run to the store and get everything to my friend Andrea's house for the party and then make it home. Clean up all evidence of cake baking including the smell before Jared got back!
(Kailie on the other hand had a great day and even learned to climb the ladder! Yep this is how we found her when we walked into the kitchen)
It was the weirdest day I have ever experienced, words cannot describe the emotions that you go through not knowing what the next few days or weeks could be like. Thank goodness we really didn't have to find out what it would have been like!!
Needless to say, Jared didn't really get a relaxing, stress free birthday which was my whole theme this year for him. We did however get a good dry run of how prepared we are and learned we need a few things but were for the most part pretty well prepared!
(the gang, waiting to surprise him)
Sunday brought his surprise party which he almost missed because he was so stressed out about not being able to do any work on Saturday he knew he needed most of Sunday to get it all done.
(as he walked out to all the people)
But in the end he made it, and was surprised and said that he was really glad I made him come to "dinner". (Chatting with our previous Bishop, his wife and current 2nd counselor)

(Kailie trying to get water!! of course)
He even liked the cake, which is a big deal since he doesn't really like cake. I really wanted to do some surfing decorations for him so I made a chocolate cake with sour cream, chocolate chips, chocolate pudding and hershey kisses. How could you not like it.
34 candles for one 34 year old man!


(Jared surfing on his two boards!)

In the end, it will be a Birthday that will not be forgotten!
Happy Birthday Babe!
Love you!
Hopefully next year will be a nice quiet, relaxing Birthday!

7 comments:

Sarah Jarvis said...

I am sorry it did not all go according to plan and Jared did not get to relax. Wow, he must be really working hard and be stressed a lot. Is it going to be any better once you move? I hope so. And great job on the birthday party. It looks like everyone had a great time. Good planning!

Cory&SadieK said...

Wow! Isn't funny when we are surprised by life. I'm amazed at Jared's ability to endure all this stress. He's amazing and you are amazing to be such a good support to him. The party looked awesome and I loved the cakes and wished we lived there so we could hang out with y'all. Ps--I love that Kailie climbed the ladder. And what did you not have that you wished that you had?

Matt n' Jenni said...

Happy Birthday Jared. We're sad we missed all the tsunami excitment! Glad everybody was ok though! Maybe one day you guys will get a full 24 hours of relaxation, you deserve it!

jaredandgina said...

Hey Sadie,

We couldn't find two of our five gallon water jugs. We also usually keep two-three flats of water bottles around since they are easy to transport but we have slowly been drinking all of them so we only had a few more left. We also did not have a lot of food inouor 72 hour kit because we got bugs in there so I threw it all out a few months ago.
Besides, that we have everything. Basically our 72 hour packs are as if we are going backpacking, we have everything we need to survive in them!

Grandma Carolyn said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful day planned for Jared! Too bad the tsunami warnings hijacked it all. Rachel felt so bad when she called to wish him a Happy Birthday that afternoon and woke him up. It looks like a wonderful party the next day. The cakes look great. Kailie is such a funny little girl - a climber just like her dad! We can't wait to see you all in June!

Emily said...

Crazy! It will definitely go in the files as a memorable birthday! Glad you were born Jared! Happy Birthday! (I hope you get the massage and extra rest in the near future!!)

Megz said...

I wondered how the tsunami warning would impact you guys. Bad timing!
The cake sounds delish. Way to still make it a great day in spite of it all.