Just in case you were wondering? Yes I survived my first Tri-athlon. It wasn't pretty but I made it and it was fun and we are already planning to do another one in a few weeks.
Andrea and I had been planning on doing a Tri this spring since we both moved here but the one we wanted to do was the same weekend Jared is out of town and her husband is working so we were kind of bummed. Then she found out about this one on the Tuesday before it. She talked me into doing it even though I haven't been training at all for a tri. I have been going to the gym and working out but not swimming or running. Once I decided to do it, I was terrified and stressed all week. Why: well for starters I had not clue what I was supposed to wear to do a race like this. I didn't have a bike, except my mountain/cruiser bike that I love but isn't really meant for racing. I didn't have a wetsuit not to mention the fact that I hadn't swam laps for a couple of years.
Yes this is a horrible photo of me since my eyes are closed but it is the only one I have of Andrea and I together.I borrowed Jared's surfing wetsuit and it was fine. I was nervous because everyone else had tri wetsuits.
We have both being learning total immersion swimming. Well I started to learn right as we left Hawaii and haven't swam since so I am not very good at it but the above photo at least shows that we did attempt it for awhile. We discovered it is hard to do total immersion swimming in a wetsuit since it makes you float. I free styled for a few minutes and then I just started hyperventilate or something it was like I couldn't breath as soon as I put my head under water, so I mostly just the breaststroke the whole time. Andrea free styled it most of the way and I was only like 30 seconds behind her so it wasn't too much slower but I definitely am going to start swimming again so next time I can freestyle the whole thing.
Me and my cruiser. The bike was the part I was not as worried about and ironically it is the part that about killed me. The course was super hilly and on what ended up being the last hill I was thinking there is no way I can go up another hill and then I saw Andrea coming back towards me. Hallelujah, I knew the turn around was soon.
Coming back down was definitely the highlight of the whole race. It was just nice to be outside biking again. I really haven't biked since college.
These kiddos came to cheer on their mommas and had a fun time playing around while waiting.
Andrea at the end. She did awesome and finished way before me.
The run was hard mostly because the bike killed me. I just felt like I had no juice in me and I really couldn't catch my breath for the first mile of the run. Endurance training is definitely something I need to work on.
All in all it was awesome first tri. It wasn't an official tri but called rock the mock so there was no time clock just you keeping track of your own time and no pressure to beat anyone. I loved it and am looking forward to doing more in the future.
Then we came home and spent the evening doing this. Hanging out cuddling one another and watching a movie. I was wiped out and so were these two. Oh the love of siblings.
Love them!!
4 comments:
Ha! I love that you did a tri with hardly any training, no wetsuit, and a cruiser bike! I guess the rest of us have no excuse now....
Awesome job and I'm glad it didn't kill you.
Way to go Gina! That is amazing - especially since you didn't train for it.
Love it! Good job G, you're my inspiration!
Way to go! I plan on doing a sprint triathlon so this has inspired me!
Post a Comment