Friday, February 12, 2010

They call it the Big Island


We decided to take one last trip to the Big Island and invited a few friends to come along. We rented a huge 15 passenger van that was hilarious and we had a blast cruising around the island. 
Jeramy and Kera Mahoney, Jared, Kai and I, Andrea and Justin Keck, Suzy, Preston and Little Ben Taylor.

We took a super early flight so that we could get to the temple early that morning. I volunteered to to stay out with the two kiddos. It was fun walking around the beautiful grounds with them! 
Kai Kai wanted to go in!
Plumerias=the best flower ever!
Playing who can drop the most stuff down to the grass!
Love the innocence of little children!

Mastering the art of climbing stairs!


 Whoa girlie!


 I am going to the temple and I'm gonna get Married!

They were so fun, just enjoying all the little things!



 Little Buddies!

 The flowers in Hawaii never cease to amaze me. They are so beautiful!




 He loves me, he loves me not!

 After the temple we headed over to this old Sacred Hawaiian ground and tad poles. This Seal was there and as we were watching him he just started barking at us like crazy. We were not very close and had water in between us but he did not like us being there and definitely told us off. He completely scared Andrea and I!

 

 We all kind of went our own way exploring, it was a really cool place. Jared and Kai were in the car taking naps!

 We caught up with them when they woke up or when Kai woke up. Looks like Daddy could still use some more sleep!




 Exploring!



We saw this creepy eel. 
The walls to old Hawaiian Temple!
These guys were pretty awesome, I loved their butts!
 We are all so exhausted that 5 am flight just zonked us all.

That night we did a  snorkel tour with the giant Manta Rays. It sounded like a great idea but it ended up being not so fun. First off we were all exhausted, then we decided not to eat before we went since it was right around dinner time and then we were out in the open super wavy rocky water. We all got sick. Thankfully the two little kids didn't. Because we had the two little ones one couple had to stay in the boat with them. So Jared and I snorkeled first. I said I would never get in the ocean at night time but I did and it was kind of creepy and cool. While we were out there all the Manta Rays were on the the very bottom so we couldn't see them that good. We headed back the boat to switch with Suzy and Preston and then the Manta Rays came up to the surface right by them all. We were so bummed that we missed them, but we were also done. Both of us threw up, Jared has never gotten seasick, carsick, anything his whole life but he did this night! But it was something we will always remember!


The next day we got up and headed around the other side of the island! We drove all around the island. One our stops we went to this river and jumped off the bridge and then walked up and hiked through this lava flow tunnel.


The lava tunnel.

Daddy shows off his muscles!

Kera deciding how to get in the water. 
None of the girls wanted to jump the 30 ft off the bride so this rock was a good substitute!
Just enjoying the place!

Kai Kai was pretty tired the first day. We got a super early flight and we were all pretty wiped. Plus this girl isn't used to being in the car for more than an hour. This was the last time using her baby car seat. When we got home we switched to a bigger car seat!

We also stopped at a couple of water falls. Jeramy being silly pretended to be a monkey in the tree. 

Kai just had to be in front of Ben!

The waterfall was gorgeous!


 The trail was beautiful!


Next stop Waipio Valley! Someday I would love to actually get to go down into the valley!



That night we went up to the top of Mauna Kea a dormant volcano and the tallest mountain in the world if you include from the bottom of the sea. It was freezing but the stars are absolutely incredible up there. There is also a snow ski resort up there! Crazy. We don't have much warm clothes living in Hawaii so we used up everything we brought with us! 
 The Keck's all bundled up! 
 We had to all stay close to stay warm!

Kailie had on everything we brought for her. Her footsie jammie's plus her sweat pants then her towel shirt! 

Our awesome sweet 15 passenger van that got hit by some drunk dude walking down the street and he put a dent in it! The rental company never said anything about it to us but it was crazy!
Our last day we went up to Kilauea volcano which is active. We drove around the top. 
Some big craters!

 We had flat Stanley along for the ride with us for my cousin Kandis's kids!
 Overlooking the old lava flow and the ocean!


Some cool sea arches!

 We checked out some old lava flows. 

This road is definitely closed!
Then we hiked out to the lava flow. 



 I tried to capture the lava flow but it was getting too dark and I didn't have my tri-pod. These are the best we got!





We ended the night trying to get a group photo. The Taylor's had already flown home. This is the best we got! 
I love this one, the person taking it I guess thought Justin and Andrea weren't needed in the photo!
So funny!
 Our last day we headed down by Hilo and checked out some fun stuff. These old alters!

 Beautiful gardens!


 We did some snorkeling in some tide pools!


 Then we headed to my absolute favorite thing off all the Hawaiian islands. The natural hot springs pool.

 The water is a perfect warm bath water temp. Is clean because it is getting new water straight from the ocean with every wave but it is fed with clean water that is heated up from the volcano. It is so cool  It has fish in it. 
 I could seriously swim in it all day!
Oh it was such a fabulous trip! I sure do love that island so much. It is by far our favorite one!! 
Good times, great friends, awesome memories!

No comments: