Monday, August 2, 2010

What to do!

I once read on someones blog who had just visited the island of Oahu "That once you have been to Oahu once there is no reason to go back." I just laughed when I read that because there is so much to do on Oahu that even after living there for 4 1/2 years I didn't get to do all of it.
Our last few months there Jared and I made a list of things that we had always wanted to do that we hadn't done and we tried to do them all. We didn't quite make it seeing as his boss was so kind and gave him not a single day off before we moved but we did what we could and made the most of our time. Here are most of them in no particular order. And if by chance you are ever planning a vacation to this beautiful island, please call me and I will tell you all sorts of fun things to do, great places to eat and some secret spots that we love. Recreation is my expertise after all!!

A lot of these next things are more of the touristy things and cost money but there is a ton to do that is free as well!

Atlantis Submarine:
This was really cool and something I had been wanted to do forever. If you are scuba diver this might not be so exciting but for those of us who don't it was so cool to see the world under the water.
(Going into the sub!)
Our day was amazingly clear and you could see forever. We saw sharks and all sorts of other marine life.

Part of the gang! Man we miss all these guys!!


Did you know that subs are really smooth and you don't feel the motion of the ocean at all. Super nice especially for those of us who are prone to getting sick(read on to hear the rest).

Valley of the Temples:
There is the really beautiful cemetery on the windward side of the island and inside of it is the really cool Buddhist temple. The backdrop is amazing and the grounds are really peaceful.
Ringing the big bell.

Kai was in her whole I have to always have something in my hand stage! Whether that be sand, dirt, rocks or food!
Unfortunately we got there close to closing time without realizing it and spent so much time playing around outside that they closed the inside before we could go in!
Oopps!


Sea Life Park:
This is like a really miniature Sea World and definitely only worth $10 that we payed due to the military discount! But Kai had fun, she loved the sea lion show, and we got to be just a few feet away from them.

By far the best part of the day is the dolphin show. It was really good and where else in the world can you get to see a wolphin?? Nowhere because this is the only one in the world. He is hiding, can you find him? And where else has this beautiful backdrop for a dolphin show!
Mainly it was just fun because the Keck's were with us and we always have fun with them!


Atlantis Sunset Dinner Cruise or Whale Watching Cruise:
I of course have to put a plug in for this cruise since this is where I worked. It was nice to ride the boat and not have to work and fun to show Jared where I worked. Too bad we didn't see any dolphins or whales.
The food is pretty good, we did the fancy steak and Lobster dinner and I must say that I think the buffet food downstairs is better but it was good!
This was really good!
Glider Rides on the North Shore:
The whole time we lived there Jared really wanted to go skydiving. I having already been skydiving encouraged him to go but in the end he decided to do glider rides instead. I joined him on it and must say that it was cool and scary. In fact I think I was more scared a few moments during this ride than I ever was skydiving!!

This is all the controls there are!! Crazy, you really are just gliding on the air and wind.

Taking off!! We got towed behind a plane until we got up to right altitude and then we got released. Scary!!


Of Course I had to get sick and ended up throwing up while we were up there. Good thing the driver had a plastic bag. Why do I always get sick? So annoying!

The amazing view. Totally worth getting sick over!

Well that is some of the stuff we were able to do before we left. For those of you wanting to go there here is a list of some of our favorite things to do on this amazing island!
  • Surf of Course (favorite places: White Plains, North Beach, Flys, Hickam Harbor)
  • Hikes: Koko head, Jackass ginger trail, Makapuu Lighthouse, Manoa Falls, Aiea loop, Kuliuliu ridge,Ka'ena Point
  • Snorkel: Sharks cove, electric beack, H-bay
  • Kayak: Kailua bay out to Mokes
  • Golf: Military courses
  • Camping at Bellows beach
  • Favorite Beaches: Waimea bay, Kailua, Ko'olina Bays,
  • Touristy things: Sharks cage, dolphin excursion, PCC,
  • Favorite things to eat: Melona bars, malasadas, shave ice, acai bowls, island pancakes
  • Places to eat: Haliewa Joes in Kaneohe, Boots N' Kimos, The Olive Tree, Little Village, Dukes,

5 comments:

Sarah Jarvis said...

I will come back to this post when/if we visit Ohau sometime in the distant future! Thanks! I am glad you guys had so much fun and got to do so much cool stuff!

Andrea and Justin said...

I agree with you there is a lot to do. Sorry I missed your call yesterday. I actually wasn't surfing I was traveling to Utah! It is weird to be back in the mainland and all your pictures made me miss home in Hawaii already and I have only been gone a week...

Aden & Jamie Hirtle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aden & Jamie Hirtle said...

Mmmmm... Boots and Kimos. My mouth is watering just thinking of those pancakes! And I definitely agree with you.... how could someone not want to go back to Oahu after their 1st visit. I miss that place!

Grandma Carolyn said...

I'm glad you got to do some of those things on your list. Now you have added some things for us to do the next time we go to Oahu. I am especially interested in some of the hikes - not too strenuous ones. It will seem strange now to go there and not have your family there!