We started off the day bright early by meeting at the Kayak guide shop at 5:30 a.m. It was a late night and early morning so we were all pretty tired but excited!
This is the gang right before we launched, Jared, Me, Leah and Ben(who did not kayak with us but thankfully helped us a lot), Jon, Janna, Tyler, Nat and Dawn!
We were all getting ready on the beach and trying to time the waves to make sure we launch safely and the next thing we see is this: Jon just taking-off into the water all by himself, pretty funny! We didn't see much of him after this!
Here we are with Nat helping us launch, Jared says it looks like I am getting ready to ride an amusement park ride! It was pretty fun!
This the first probably 7 miles or so of coastline. It is beautiful!
Janna and Tyler being silly. We all used a patch to help with sea sickness, Tyler said that it made Janna really hyper and loopy.
Here is the lovely Nat and Dawn, the best part of them was Nat paddled Dawn the whole way!
It was so cute! In the background Janna and Tyler are just going under a waterfall, that was a nice freshing treat to get some fresh water out there on the hot, sticky, salty ocean!
This is Jon again and this is last we saw of him until we almost reached our destination. The poor guy was super seasick, which he knew was going to happen, so he just paddled on and on while the rest of us explored the waterfalls and caves. Poor guy, he was sick all day, well he was pretty much sick the whole trip, but was such a trooper and still did everything with us.
Just a cool water fall and arch! The water was pretty calm most of the trip! Thankfully, because I was on the verge of getting really sick!
At last we made it to our first destination the majestic Kalalau Beach!
This place was AMAZING! A beautiful huge beach, a fresh waterfall, caves, and shade! Seriously one of the coolest outdoor places I have been too. So much to do! We were all so excited to get here, it took us over 4 hours and we were all tired and hungry and I was even a little sick!
This is that waterfall, it was small but perfect for rinsing off and pumping water. Someone brought this pipe to make a shower, Brilliant! Also be aware on this beach that there are many people who for some reason don't feel the need to wear clothes. The funniest was this old woman that we passed as we were hiking she had on pants and a backpack so she had obviously backpacked in, but she just didn't have a shirt on. So odd, surprising and not very pleasant!
Pumping water! I can sum up my trip by saying I was probably doing one of three things the entire time. Pumping water is one.
Pumping to keep my milk supply for Kai is the second and the one I did the most, Paddling is the third!
After we got camp set up and all took naps, we decided to hike up the trail. We found the river and left the trail to just hike right up along the river and found this amazing little gem!
A little slot canyon, with a fun waterfall at the end!
If you look closely you can see Jared in the waterfall! Always the water boy!
On our way back to camp, we left the trail again and ran up this big red dirt hill, so glad we did because the view of the valley was amazing!
Cooking dinner in our camp spot. This beach had lots of people on it but it didn't feel crowded. People or should I say hippies/granola's actually live there hence the nakedness!
Here is Jon standing on the beach with mountains in the back!
This is a view of where we had paddled that day!
Kalalau is a very big, long beach and as you walk down it you pass a bunch of sea caves on the left, some of which are really big and even have fresh water pools in them. At the end of the beach, there is a cave that takes you through to another beach, but that is for the next post!
And finally the sunset on our great first day! Pretty much about half hour after this picture we were all fast asleep and we went to bed at like 8 pm!
Stay tuned for the next days adventure where we explore a sacred beach and an awesome sea cave, plus lots of waterfalls!
5 comments:
Love it, love it, love it! I can't wait for the next post. In the meantime I will save my money to come over and do it myself.
Oh, I saw your mom at the dentist yesterday. That was a nice surprise. I had no idea.
This looks like it was amazing!!!! I can't wait to see more pics!!! Sorry about Pilates today- Chase was taking too good of a nap to wake him up to eat- but I will be there next week!
I'm so glad that you and Jared were able to go with your friends on this outing. It was great to have some time to spend with Kai. We loved taking the boat along the Na Pali coast - it is truly a beautiful place.
Very unique blog.
Fantastic pictures. Wow...
I like your blog.
Please visit:
http://create-solution.blogspot.com
Keep blogging.
Have a nice day.
Hey! I came across your blog and I thought it looked interesting probably because of the Hawaii pics. I'm so jealous by the way. When I clicked on older posts I saw that you are moving to Syracuse. That's where I live. I would love hear from you. Is it a sure thing? You don't sound too excited about.
Post a Comment