Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas!

 It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!
The lights are up, the decorations are hung.
Gingerbread houses have been made!

Christmas Dresses have been worn. 
 Oreo balls have been eaten 

White elephant gifts have been won
(isn't she a gem)

Attempting  to visit Santa has been done, but this is what we got instead!
As close as she would go
 And there is even snow all around
But for some reason it just doesn't feel like Christmas! I am not sure why! I thought for sure this year with it being snowy it would feel like it but not really. I think we are just kind of lonely. No parties to go to or friends to celebrate with. The ward didn't even have a real Christmas party. We watched the First Presidency Christmas Devotional on Sunday for the ward party, it was nice what I got to hear from it. They talked a lot about being so busy that you forget the true meaning of Christmas. I think I am not busy enough, Sometimes having too much time is not a good thing!! In the past we have always done sub for Santa and actually got to buy toys and other needed items this year the ward asked just to donate money so we did but it kind of takes the fun out of it. 

What are some things you do to help feel the Christmas Spirit?

4 comments:

Tyler, Janna, Lily, and Niki said...

Ditto. We've been feeling a little lonely as well. It's like we just can't wait to get to our next trip so we'll have something fun to do. I think part of the reason is that it is harder to make friends when you have kids. It just takes more effort and time to do things and sometimes you just don't feel like it. And trying to coordinate free time with other's who have kids is even harder.

We've been reading the children's friend alot to get into the christmas spirit. We even made the suggested "Apple Wreaths" for dinner one day.

Megz said...

Your house looks way festive. And those treats look profesional. I'm hoping we get some more snow here....
I too feel like there's so many to-do lists that the actual enjoyment part gets left to the wayside sometimes.
I think having set traditions really helps because as your kids get older they'll make you do some of the same stuff even when you might not want to! Some of our faves have been caroling on a friends' hay wagon, making the kids bundle up and walk around the ward delivering treats (nice to be in UT!)and putting on our own nativity puppet show.
We can also go directly through the county to pick our own sub for santa fams. (because it is a little more personal if you're picking out the gifts!)

Cory&SadieK said...

Your boots are awesome! And your house is so pretty--I love the lights and the snow. I've been trying to feel that magical Christmas Feeling too--I think in the past I've lost that Christmas Feeling--oooo--that Christmas feeling..hehe. I've been listening to Christmas music, reading the new testament(and trying to think about Christ and Mary and the significance of it all with my reading) I've been watching Christmas movies like crazy--and even reading books based on Christmas stories about love, mushy stuff and happy endings. It's helped me to let go of the lonely craziness of the season. I don't know if that will help. I bet megan is quite right too about starting new traditions that you can do to help make it more memorable. I wish I had some ideas, but alas I'm lame. I'll let ya know if I think of any.

Anonymous said...

I play my trumpet...at least one person in our house enjoys it :) I think the music, tree, lights, treats, and reading about the first Christmas help me out with "feeling" in season. Caroling is fun, but I haven't been in a looooong time...nursing homes are also great places to visit. Merry Christmas!!