Monday, September 7, 2009

A Great Lady!

A few weeks ago I wrote a post that I will share later but in it I talked about this great woman and how she has influenced my life. She was like a second mom to me! Sadly she passed away last week after a long battle with cancer. I was talking with her daughter who is one of my best friends from high school before Becky passed away and she was telling me how her mom has a button that she wears that says I Hate Cancer! Well, I Hate Cancer too, I hate that it has taken away so many great people! I have too many friends in my life who have lost loved one's to cancer!

Becky was truly an amazing woman, she was a great mom to us all and her and her husband have the greatest love story! I am so sad for her family, especially her daughter Andee (my good friend) who is expecting her first child in a few weeks! Why do bad things happen to good people, why can't it be just the bad people who have the bad things happen to them? I guess that is what will be so great about the next life! No more cancer! No more losing loved ones! No more having to say goodbye!

Rebecca Firmage Ellis

Aug. 6, 1953 ~

Aug. 29, 2009

Beloved Rebecca (Becky) Firmage Ellis, 56, died Saturday, August 29, 2009 at home, following a courageous battle with breast cancer. She was born August 6, 1953 in Kingsport, Tenn. to Margaret Felt and D. Allan Firmage and moved with her family to Provo, Utah when she was two years old.

Becky married her true love and best friend Kelly Taylor Ellis, on December 27, 1975 in the Provo, LDS Temple and they were blessed with five devoted children.

She was a graduate of Provo High School and earned both a bachelor's and master's degree from Brigham Young University in dance and later a EdD from BYU in Educational Leadership.

In Becky's life her family always came first. She loved being a wife and a mother and was definitely the biggest cheerleader for each of her five children and four grandchildren as she supported and encouraged them to develop their individual strengths and talents.

Throughout her life she was able to balance family responsibilities and fun, with her love of dance and creative movement as she taught Children's Dance at BYU, and Academics Through Movement for Elementary Education students at UVU. She especially loved teaching the BOYS Dance classes which she did for 18 years at BYU. In June of this year she took eight of her BOYS to New York City and with them presented at the National Dance Educator's Organization. Becky demonstrated how to teach boys to use their creativity, rhythm and strength in dance and still allow themselves to be boys.

She was a faithful member of the LDS Church and had served as a Young Women's President, counselor in the Stake Young Women's Organization, Relief Society President, Activities Committee Chair, Webelos leader, and most importantly, a loving Visiting Teacher. She had a strong testimony of the gospel and eternal families.

Becky is survived by her husband, Kelly, children Jake (Cindy), Chet (Laura), Andee (Spencer) Bott, Clay, and Elder Michael (Mick) Ellis (currently serving in the Mexico, Monterey West Mission of the LDS Church), 4 grand-daughters, Aubrey, Taylor, Avery, and Ireland, one soon-to-be grandson Mason (due Sept. 18), her father, D. Allan Firmage, sisters, Kathy Campbell (Kailua, HI), Jeri Walton (Alpine, UT), Nita Price (Reno, NV), and brothers, Richard (Kaysville, UT), and Ron (Orem, UT). She was preceded in death by her mother, Margaret Felt Firmage.

The family expresses their sincere appreciation to Dr. William Reese and Dr. Nathan Rich and their staffs for their loving care during her eight year battle.

Those wishing to contribute to a book honoring Becky can do so by going to www.memorypress.com/start. Use ID: Ellis Password: Becky

Funeral service will be held Saturday, September 5th at 1:00 p.m. in the Oak Hills Stake Center, 925 E. North Temple Dr., Provo. Visitations will be held on Friday evening, Sept. 4th from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at Walker Funeral Home, 85 East 300 South, in Provo and on Saturday from 11:00-12:30 at the Oak Hills Stake Center prior to the services.

2 comments:

Sarah Jarvis said...

I feel the same way!

Liz said...

Gina, I'm putting together a book of great stories and tributes to Becky to share with her family and especially grandchildren. Would you be willing to add your post about Becky? I didn't see it on your site yet. The instructions for adding are in the obituary you posted.