I read this fun little book Titled The Icing on the Cake! It was a cute sometimes cheesy little story but from it I felt inspired to keep a note book and make little notes about people who have inspired me! (that is what the main character does). In the book the girl titles her's, pinknotes because she uses a pink note book, well I have been trying to think of my own name and then tonight I was randomly reading in Helaman5 and Helaman told his sons Lehi and Nephi to remember their ancestors from whom they were named. The word Remember just stuck out to me and reminded me funny enough of many things. A few of which include:
1. When I was in seminary which was over 10 years ago, I remember a lesson where the teacher tried to stress the importance of the word remember. At that time I had a close family member who had made some pretty crazy and sad choices and I remember thinking, if only he would remember! Remember who he was, remember those still quiet moments where I know he gained a testimony. I wanted to run home and just call him and yell Remember, Remember your childhood and all the things you experienced on your mission!
2. The second thing I thought of was all of the amazing people in my life who I have had the privilege of meeting. I just went to my 10 yr. High School Reunion and have thus been doing a lot of reminiscing. I had the most amazing friends in high school and without them I know I would not be where I am today.
3. Lastly and I can't remember exactly where I heard this, I think from an institute class but it could have been during a general conference. Anyways, some apostle stated that the word remember is the most important word and commandment!
So after thinking about these things I thought I am going to name my notes Remember Notes: People who I want to always remember because they have inspired me. I have decided to share a few of these people with you and hopefully you will be inspired by them as well!
Remember Note # 1: Becky Ellis
Why she is noteworthy: I first met Becky in elementary school when she was my movement teacher (Miss Becky) and would have us run around the gym jumping over hula hoops while calling out our favorite ice cream. Years later, I was blessed to become friends with Becky's daughter Andee and in the process I got to know Miss Becky all over again! She was not just Andee's mom, but basically our entire groups Mom, we all loved hanging out with Becky and talking with her! She was always happy to have a bunch of high school kids taking over her house every Tuesday night and weekends. The past few years Becky has given me great advice and was even a military wife as well, she has lived in Hawaii and gave birth to her 4th child at Tripler the same hospital Kai was born!
Sadly, Becky was stricken with cancer and lost her battle a few weeks ago. I pray for her family and know that this world and many young people have been touched by Becky's love. As her daughter said "Becky is the life of the party, things just won't be the same with out her."
1 comment:
I love this post, GIna. Especially the part about Becky. I have to sort through my thoughts and put them down. And yes, I still owe you a phone call.
Post a Comment