Monday, April 27, 2009

Just One GIANT Step at a Time

Last Friday a couple of friends and I hiked Koko Head, which is a trail that goes straight up a crater following an old rail line. Lets just say that this was a tough little hike. One of the toughest I have done out here in Hawaii and I am definitely still feeling it in my legs! The thing that made this trail so hard was that not only was it straight up but it was steps the whole way and not your average sized steps some went up to my knees which makes it a good quad workout especially when you are carrying a child!
(Janna and Lily after the hike, in the background you can see the trail)
As we were approaching the trailhead the first guy we see is like "Wow you guys are going to hike this with babies" then the next woman was like be careful it is slippery. Pretty much every one we passed was surprised that we had babies with us! But we did it!! We made it to the top, by just taking one step at a time and switching the kiddies around to get breaks.
There was one scary part where the trail or tracks turn into a bridge with pretty wide gaps in between the rails, definitely dangerous especially with kidlets, so if any of you ever hike this trail there is a safer trail to the right of the bridge in the trees, it is way easier and safer.

The view at the top was amazing and worth it. Kailie and Lily(the other baby) did so well, they were just along for the ride and both slept most of the way down.

(The crew: Andrea, Janna, Lilly and of course Kailie and me)
As hard as going up was going down was worse. We had to basically walk sideways down the whole thing because it was such large steps. It was a killer on the knees and about half way down my legs turned to jell-o and I just kept telling myself just one more step and slowly but surely we all made it down safe and sound! I don't know if I would do this again, maybe but only if Jared was there to carry Kai!
This was my favorite photo. Kailie fell asleep holding her hands. She must have been scared or something because she had a good grip! She held them like this the whole way down!
Aren't her fat little hands so cute, I love how she has dimples instead of knuckles! So stinking cute!!

Thanks Andrea and Janna for hiking it was fun!!

5 comments:

Saundra said...

Wow. You guys a troopers to do a hike like that with your babies! It looked like a fun and exhausting day.

AMY said...

Awesome! That hike totally reminds me of China... they've built stairs into all of their mountains. It's a pretty good workout. Way to do it with the kids!

The Theler's said...

wow im in shock! Good for you. I cant wait to see Kai she looks so much bigger then the last time we saw her. LOve ya

Grandma Carolyn said...

WOW - I am so impressed! That is an amazing hike with babies. Can't wait to see you in a about 11 days.

Anonymous said...

Now that looks like fun! I wanna go! (Next visit.)