The past few weeks have not been the best for us here in the Theler household, we had a great time in Utah visiting family and friends but it was also hard for me. The past 6 months or so, I have become more isolated and instead of trying to plan fun things with friends I just go by myself or just stay home. We do still hang out with friends just not nearly as much as in Hawaii. Part of that is making new friends is harder but I realized while in Utah that part of it is because I have hard time being around everybody because most everyone I know has perfectly healthy children and when I am around them I am reminded how much Diabetes sucks and how care-free and easy life would be for all of us if we didn't have this disease. I know that I become very envious that their kids can not eat and be fine or just go to bed and the parents have no worries that they might not be alive in the morning.
Kailie's blood sugars were all over the place the last week in Utah actually we were in Vegas and it was hard, she was sick and I had no idea why she was going so low all day long and then the next day she was high high high, then I got sick again and was throwing-up but I still had to take care of Kai. Sure my cousins could help change her and give here baths and even feed her but I had to check her and give her insulin and get up in the middle of the night and wake up early when she did. I just started to become very angry, most of my anger was towards God. Just questioning why she was given this disease and at such a young age. I can't help but feel sometimes that we got gipped. We barely got to enjoy Kailie for 16 months and now our focus is on blood sugar and insulin. Instead of talking about the cute things she did or the new word she learned we discuss her numbers. Night time is the hardest for both Jared and I, that is when we get the most sad and angry. My last night in Utah, Kailie was low when I checked her at 10 pm so I had to wake her up and give her something to eat but of course she didn't want to eat. She has actually gotten pretty good at eating in the middle of the night but this night she wasn't having it and wouldn't eat anything, not fruitsnacks, cookies, ice cream, yogurt, choc, smarties, milk, you name it she wouldn't have it. I called Jared who was in New York just because I didn't know what to do and an hour later I finally had to force down her throat some cake gel frosting. Pour thing was screaming and so mad and tired. Then I finally get to sleep and wake up a few hours later to check and sure enough she skyrocketed, I must have given her more than I thought, so I had to give her a shot. And boy was I mad!!! Not at Kailie, I am never mad at her! I was tired, I knew we both had to get up early and fly back to NY and I just didn't understand why she went so high. Needless to say the flight was not the best but we made it and as we were driving the two hours back to Syracuse Jared and I started talking about how we were both angry last night at God and that we needed to get these issues worked out soon before Kailie is old enough to understand.
The next day was tough, I was super emotional all day and just not happy. This whole week I have been thinking about how crappy this is and how I wish there was a way to heal her. Last night after talking about it all with Jared I realized I need to be grateful for the things I do have and not focus on the bad things. Did I mention that we are also trying to have another baby and have been trying for over a year now, so that just adds to all my frustrations and stress.
This evening everything was put into perspective when we were able to talk with some friends from Hawaii who have a daughter that has recently been diagnosed with a horrible Kidney Failure disease. A disease that is a lot harder than diabetes. After, I just had this overwhelming gratitude that Kailie didn't have a disease like that. As much as diabetes sucks, you can still do most anything, go anywhere and our friends won't have that. As tough as our situation is there is always someone who has it harder and that is a reminder that I needed. Sure I wish Kai was healthy of course but I am so happy to have her in my life. I would take a Kailie with Diabetes over no Kailie any day!!
Now I just need to keep things in perspective and be grateful for what I do have which is a lot. Mostly, I am really grateful for Jared, he is a great dad and a wonderful husband and there is no way I could do this with out him!
9 comments:
Hey Gina - I am so sorry for your burdens, heartbreak and trials. I wish there was something I could do to make it easier. I admire you so much for your strength and Jareds. We love you guys so much and I hope that things will get better. Love you.
Gina,
If I have known the other night how much you were struggling, I would have tried to be more comforting in my comments. I loved talking to you though because I had been pretty low myself and it was good to feel like someone else can relate to the emotions I have been having. You are such a good example to me and I think we definitely need to skype sometime!!
I am so sorry, Gina. You are right. Us, the ones with perfectly healthy children don't really understand. Sure, I can imagine what it must be like, but I just really don't know. But I AM grateful every day that my children are healthy because, as you know, that can change any minute. But the truth is, we are all struggling with something or other in our lives... I am really grateful for your honesty and strength. I know it is hard but I also know that Heavenly Father would not have sent Kailie with Diabetes in your lives if he had not known that that would be the best family for her! I am so glad to hear that Jared is such a great husband and father, because that makes a world of difference! You are in our prayers. Love, Sarah
I am totally impressed with how great you are at handling Kailie's diabetes. I can't imagine having to wake up a toddler to check her levels every night. She's so lucky to have you guys as parents.
Thanks for the reminder that it does no good to compare our trials with others.
Hopefully things will get better!!
Jared told me once that I tried to do everything like you because I wanted to be like you. It is true you are a strong person and a good example to me. Miss you and so glad we got to skype the other day!
Hey,
We should do a play date with our kiddos! I know my daughter's illness is different, but I can try to understand. I don't get to leave the house much either....
We will be praying for your family.
Call me!
Annette Davis
Gina! Gina! Gina! You are the bomb.com. I couldn't imagine to have the fear of the numbers. It became so much more real to me when we stayed at your house and even some days I'll think to myself--hmm I wonder what Kai's numbers were like today. I adore Kai and I adore you. I know that it's hard. I'm really sad that she got sick in Vegas. PS--I wish we were next door neighbors.
I'm sorry you guys have had such a terrible few weeks. Mike and I were talking the other day about how we wanted to be like you guys. You are always planning fun things to do, and inviting everyone. I really admire that about you guys!
Gina- my name is Marissa Armstrong, and I was directed to your blog by my mom, Karen Pingel... who works with your cousin's daughter(?) Cindy at BYU. How's that for a getting to know ya!?
Anyway, I am the mother of a Type 1 diabetic. Darci just turned 4 years old and is almost 2 years into her diagnosis. I know can empathize with what you are going through and have felt many, MANY of the same things... many, MANY times. Cindy thought you may like to have some support and if you feel comfortable I would love to "chat" with you and get to know you better.
mjpingel@hotmail.com
Your little girl is gorgeous, by the way.
Post a Comment