Sunday, January 30, 2011

I wish I could say we gave it a good effort but

 We tried the pump for almost 24 hours and then we were done. Kailie just seemed really bothered by it, she whined all day that it hurt and both Jared and I were having mixed emotions about it so we decided to wait a for more months at least.
In case you were curious what the pump is here it is. It just attaches right to her skin. We think the main problem is she is so stinking skinny that she doesn't have enough fat to make it not hurt. Omni pod the pump company is supposedly coming out with a pump almost half the size of this one at the end of the year so we will probably wait for that.
This one just seems so big and was really noticeable. It wasn't too bad on her rump area but since she is still in diapers she gets pooh on it so we can't put it there, another reason why we will wait till she is older and potty trained.
As she was eating dinner the second day with it on she went to get out of her high chair and ripped it off on accident, it hurt pretty bad and that is when we decided to wait. The bummer thing is we didn't even get to really use it or try it because this one didn't have insulin in it. It was just a demo with saline in it. Oh well, we both have felt at peace since making the decision so I guess it is the right one. 
Her baby has been getting shots with Kailie. It was her idea to give it to the baby too!
So back to shots it is but the good news is at least she will be free from having a machine attached to her for at least a few more months. I am going to soak it all in, I love her cute little body just the way it is without anything attached!

4 comments:

Cory&SadieK said...

Sounds like a good idea Gina. I didn't even think about her ripping it off. Isaak is always climbing and sliding off things and it would be a pain for it to come out all the time. The smaller one sounds like a better option. If you have any ideas about potty training let me know. Isi sat on the toilet tonight for about an hour and didn't go. I probably shouldn't have given him a treat, but he did so good to sit for so long!

Aden & Jamie Hirtle said...

Wow, I can't even imagine what this is like for you guys. Seeing that pump on her leg makes me feel sad. I really hope the new pump will be a better success for her.... and you.

Emily and Mike said...

I am sorry it didn't work out. Soon you should be able to get a smaller one with a small tube that attaches to a pump the size of a pager that can fit in her pocket, like the one Mike has. But that can be easily pulled out too, so waiting until she is older sounds like a good idea. Good luck!

Grandma Carolyn said...

I'm sorry that the pump didn't work out better for her. It makes sense to wait for her to be potty trained and a smaller pump to come out.