Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Little Climber Man!

This little dude discovered stairs and boy does he love them. This was the first time he had ever climbed them and let me tell you how it went. Jared, Kai and I were upstairs, just for a brief few minutes and this little boy hadn't even gone to the stairs or really even acknowledged their existence yet so I wasn't too worried but I had a feeling to look down and check on him and there he was half way up the stairs on the landing just smiling away and laughing thinking this was the coolest thing ever. I of course freaked out and ran down to him and let him climb the rest of the way. He loved it and didn't slip or fall once that first time. He even had a wooden hot dog in his hand, which is one of the random toys that he loves to suck on. These aren't the best photos but they documented this first monumental moment in his life.
 He was super proud of himself and just smiled and laughed when he got to the top.

 There is the that Hot dog.
 That is one impressive first climb and thank goodness because he could have gotten seriously hurt on our hard wood floors at the bottom of the stairs.

Sorry this is Sideways. I think Jared forgot that you can't take videos sideways but you get the point. He is so cute.



Since then he climbs the stairs anytime he gets the chance and we quickly got some baby gates up, which of course only work when we remember to close them. He has definitely snuck up them a few times. Usually, his laughing and giggling gives him away.  Everyday Kai asks if we can let Kean climb up the stairs. She loves to go with him and he loves to do it so it is a fun activity for everyone.
I think he loves doing it because he knows he is not supposed to and he thinks it's a game. At our friends house the other night, he of course just kept going up the stairs all night and then one time I didn't follow him around their corner and when I finally looked around, he had stopped and was looking for me. He just likes me to chase him. He is so cute!!

He hates being locked in of course!!

Since this first encounter with the stairs the boy hasn't stopped climbing, he climbs anything he can find. The scary places I have found him are the step stool stairs in the bathrooms and my big step stool in the pantry. He was all the way to the top on that one. 
Little stinker.
He loves to climb in chairs.

Baskets

 
 Another scary one is this blue car. 
I have caught him plenty of times trying to or actually standing on it. 
He is crazy. 
Kai is definitely my little helper and lets me know if he is climbing somewhere he shouldn't.
On the treadmill, which is his favorite thing to do in the playroom. 
Suitcases. 
He is also really good at climbing down things. Not the stairs quite yet but he first learned to climb down on our bed, sometimes he falls a bit but it is super cute. Here he is climbing off our patio. 
I taught him to turn around and when I tell him turn around, he knows what I am saying and he does it. Now, if I could just get him to stay turned around while coming down the stairs he would be set but instead he goes down one step and then turns back forwards laughs and then turns back around and this is usually when he falls. Some day he'll learn, right?

He hasn't learned to climb out of his crib yet thankfully  but Jared started climbing out of his crib at 10 months which is CRAZY! So I am guessing he might do it early too. Praying he doesn't. 
He definitely keeps us on our toes and he is getting so fast at his monkey crawl that you have to watch him constantly. 

1 comment:

Aden & Jamie Hirtle said...

Alivia started climbing the stairs yesterday too! I went upstairs with Adalyn and when I came back down, there she was in climbing position a couple stairs up. It scared me but I let her continue to crawl up with me behind her. She made it most the way up the stairway before she turned around and started to slip. I, like you, am now needing to put up more baby gates! His hair is getting so so blond! Or maybe there is just more of it now.