Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Black Eye

Sorry this photo is turned, blogger keeps turning it.
This poor sweet girl took a big fall last week and ended up with a big fat lip, a swollen cheek and a black eye. Here is the story: Usually about one day a week I have a day where Kailie just pushes all my buttons and I end up frustrated with her and mean to her all day. I hate these days, I am not really sure why or what causes it but I get so mad. Anyways, this particular day Kailie from the time she woke up and we were getting ready to go to her preschool/gymnastics class I could tell this was going to be a bad day. She is the SLOWEST eater on the planet so I have been trying to wake her up earlier to give her more time to eat her breakfast and if she didn't have diabetes I wouldn't care that she didn't eat her breakfast but since she does she HAS to eat. So, I was telling her all morning to eat her breakfast fast because we had to go to class, which she loves. She just was eating like a bite every 5 minutes and I just flipped out on her and was yelling at her to eat her breakfast.  I have never yelled at anyone like that before in my life and I felt horrible, I just am at my wits end with her and eating,  so now we set a timer and if she doesn't eat before the timer goes off she doesn't get to go to class and if she does than she gets a sticker on her sticker chart. Anyways, so she finally ate most of it, and goes to class. The whole rest of the day was just not fun and by the time Jared got home I was done with her and needed some time away so he took her with him to Young Men's at the church. She was having fun, playing with some other little kids in the gym when some bigger kids came in and started playing basketball and apparently didn't see her and ran straight into her pushing her face first to the hard gym floor. Jared said she cried for a full five minutes but then continued playing. Well, when she got home she was a wreck, she was tired and a little low and then she had all of this on her face. The poor girl, I felt horrible, here I had been so mean to her all day and then send her away and she comes home hurt. She looked awful that first night and her lip and cheek were all swollen.

This is how she looked the next morning. Not quite so bad, but her eye was almost completely swollen shut. When she saw her face in the mirror she was shocked and was freaking out that she couldn't open her eye all the way. It was cute. Things were back to normal for her and I, I think the new timer for her food will be a huge help. It's not that she doesn't like her food it's just that she eats it over the course of like an hour and the kid will keep food in her mouth for like 10 minutes before she swallows. So weird.

Here is the eye the second day. I had to take her to preschool that day to and I was like great they are totally going to think that we abuse her especially since it happened because she fell which isn't that the classic story.
Her eye is mostly back to normal now. Must have been one super hard fall to create such damage. 
I do love this girl and I need to remember that she is only 3. I think sometimes I just demand or expect too much from her and I have been trying to just work on enjoying her cute little self and this age and not let all those other things bug me. 

3 comments:

Aden & Jamie Hirtle said...

Poor girl! That makes me feel bad. Hopefully the timer will work better for her.

emilydeardeuff said...

So sorry! Glad to hear that other moms have days where they wish they were more patient. I feel like it is a constant in my prayers!

Kari said...

We all have those days. Sometimes they get to be too much. Don't beat yourself up about it. Avery has been a little monster lately too. And both Bailey and Avery have had black eyes. (: