Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cap Tex Triathlon in Austin

 On Memorial Day Jared, Justin and Chad did an Olympic Triathlon which is a 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike and 6 1/2 mile run. They have been training in the mornings together for the past few months so this was pretty exciting for them. We drove up to Austin Sunday afternoon and the race was bright and early Monday morning. Jared took 2 ambien the night before which was probably a good thing because sleeping in a tiny room with two kiddos doesn't mean much sleep. McKean's crib was rock solid and he woke up at 1 am just screaming. I got to him pretty fast and nursed him since I didn't want to keep Jared awake. When I went to put him back in his crib he starting screaming again. The poor kid did not want to go back in that hard bed so I laid him down with us and he fell instantly asleep. When Jared woke up he didn't even know McKean was there nor did he here him cry but he picked him up to put him back in the crib and again Kean starting screaming. So funny. He was not going back in that thing.
The guys took off for the race around 6am and we slept in a little longer and headed over around 7:30. We missed them starting but got there just in time to see them come out of the water. Chad was the first one out which was a surprise because Jared is faster in the water but I guess he didn't have a great swim and got caught on the outside. They swam about 1 mile and all did great. I was jealous because the lake/river they swam in looked soooo refreshing,  I wanted to jump in.
We camped out at the beginning/end of the running part so we had to wait quite awhile while they biked their 25 miles. We kept the girls entertained by coloring posters for their dad's and riding their scooters up and down the sidewalk. 
These two weren't quite as easy to entertain and McKean got his first big boo-bo.
 I had his car seat sitting on the sidewalk and when they came by running I sat him down in it. Somehow he was able to flip himself out right on to the concrete,  poor kid and got this big bruise/scab on his forehead. Poor little guy, he has never done that before or since and I am still not sure how he did it.

Kai holding up her sign for her daddy as he comes up!
Justin coming by! Justin did not have his best race.
Probably hanging out at the beach the day before all day in the sun was not the best thing!
Chad cruising along.
 He was so fast I didn't have time to get a photo of him by us!!
Jared in the middle of his 6 mile run.
The girls got rainbows painted on their arms.
Jared crossing the finish line. He felt pretty good when he finished and was 3 minutes slower than his goal which he was bummed about because he knew he couldn't have pushed himself harder.I think his time was 2:43,  All in all they had fun and are already planning their next one. We were super proud of him and happy that he had a good race. He has been a lot happier since he started training for this so I guess since he can't surf,  swimming, biking and running will have to suffice!

I am bummed I didn't get a photo of all them together but Kailie was driving me crazy. That whole week before she was being mean at the gym and kept getting in trouble and then that weekend at the beach she was mean a few times but this morning at the race she was especially on one and kept pushing the other girls. I took away her scooter and wouldn't let her ride it anymore and yet she just continued to be mean so right before Jared came to meet us she was hitting and I just lost it with her. I was so mad so mad so mad and just done with her. It had been a long week so when Jared showed up even though he had just finished a big race I just threw her to him and was like I am done. I need some time. Haha! I just had had it with her. So needless to say my mind was not on the race or getting a photo with all of them. 
She has been much better since then. We have talks everyday on the drive to the gym and basically this is the deal. If she is mean and hurts other kids than we take away her bike, scooter, toys, etc. She gets to go to timeout and gets a big spanking from dad when he gets home. If she is good than she gets a toy back and gets a sticker on her sticker chart. I honestly don't thinks she is mean just to be mean. Sometimes other kids hurt her and instead of crying because she never cries she just hurts them back. Which of course is wrong but then she gets in trouble and the other kid doesn't. So we have been teaching her to tell the "mother" when she gets hurt. Other times when I have asked her why she hurt someone she says "I just want to play with them" So I have been working on her to use her words and instead of kicking said person instead tell them her name and ask them if they want to play! She seems to be doing this and is doing so much better in the mean department which is so so nice!!
Back to the race: I think Andrea and I had a harder time getting to the finish line than the guys!! There was  a big bridge with lots of people and we had two strollers, two babies and 3 squirts to somehow get over. Thankfully a really awesome couple just stepped up and offered to help us.  Going back over it after the race was a different story, this time we had Justin and Jared there to help us. I handed Kai her scooter and told her to carry it over the bridge. The Keck's went over before us and as we started to go, I looked around for Kai and couldn't see her so I just figured she went over with the Keck's since she is normally right with Brinley and Savannah. Well, we get over the bridge and start talking and then realize that Kailie is not there with us. Jared and I run back over the bridge. I stay on top to look around from above and Jared goes down. She is nowhere to be seen. So we both go and start searching everywhere. It was so scary because there was soooo many people there and someone could snatch her so easily. Finally, about 10 minutes in to the search Jared finds her. A family had found her by the bridge and were taking her to the announcer stand. Talk about the SCARIEST 10 minutes of my life. All day she kept saying "I got lost mommy." She wasn't scared or crying because of course Kailie doesn't get scared of stuff like that. For family night this week with the Keck's we talked to the girls about what to do if they get lost and what their names are and what our names are. So scary, seriously hope I never have to do that again. 
Fun day and a fun Memorial Weekend. 
Great Job Daddy!
 

No comments: