Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ear tubes

Kai had ear tubes put in and her adenoids taken out last month. The night before as I was putting her to bed, I was trying to explain to her that she had to go to bed because she had to get up really early in the morning to go to the hospital for surgery. I left her for a few minutes and then came back and she must have been thinking about surgery and asked me if the surgery was going to hurt. I wasn't really sure so I asked Jared who said it wouldn't but really how can surgery not hurt so I told her it might hurt a little but not too bad. She was such a trooper. We ended up having to wait longer than we wanted to which made it hard because she wanted to eat. I was super worried about her blood sugars more than anything else but she ended up perfect.
Jared was able to be there with us up until she came out of surgery. He downloaded a matching game on his phone for her to play while we waited. She loves to play the real matching game so this was awesome for her. He told her she could play again after her surgery but then he left. When she woke up she kept asking to play matching game again but he had left with his phone and all. She was bummed.
When she came out of surgery she was so cute all little and totally asleep  on the bed. I was trying to hurry and pump before she woke up but five minutes into it she started to stir. She was kind of whining and moving all over the place. She actually almost fell off the bed when she sat up and then laid back down with her head between the bars. Thankfully the nurse was able to catch her. The funniest thing she did was she was still so tired and in some pain so they brought her a Popsicle to eat. I was holding her and she insisted on holding the Popsicle herself. She was so tired that she would try to lick but she would fall asleep in the process so her tongue would never quite reach it. It was so funny!! She was in and out of sleep all day but besides that and having really high Blood sugar she seemed to handle it all pretty well. 


We didn't converse with her Endocrine doctors at all about this surgery mainly because we don't like them so we try to avoid them. So we were flying solo and really had no idea how this was going to affect her. Her BS was perfect before, during and after the surgery but after we came home and she slept for a couple of hours and had no insulin on board she shot way way high. Every hour or two we were giving her more insulin shots and still her meter would just say high instead of a number. Finally at 10:30 that night it said 387, I was so relieved. That is not a good number but at least it was a number. The next few days she was high all the time. I guess surgery really messes you up for a few days. I was talking with my friend Amy who has Type 1 and so at least I was getting some info and from a source that I trust. Now it has been a week and she is finally back to normal. At least now we know better what to do next time she has surgery although I just hope she doesn't have to have anymore surgeries.

1 comment:

Cory&SadieK said...

Wow! I bet that was a stressful day. Tubes. Exciting stuff. Isaak's are still in and it's been over a year. I hope they stay put!!! I'm glad her blood sugar lowered well you know what I mean! And the BF picture is awesome. I love it.