The one thing about Diabetes that freaks us out and worries us the most is when she gets sick. Specifically the flu. So far she has done really well over her whole life had only thrown up 4 times. Two times once when we were flying from Utah to New York, that was a treat and totally terrifying since I had no way to get help if I needed and then again this time which was fast and only two times.
We have been lucky but our luck finally ran out. Last Monday when we were putting Kai to bed she kept saying that her tummy hurt which normally means she needs to go to the bathroom so she did and then needed to go again. Then an hour after going to bed she woke up crying saying her tummy hurt and I just had a feeling this was the start of something bad. So I brought her downstairs and turned on a movie for her. Laid towells down all over and got her a bowl just in case. Every few minutes she would cry and say that her tummy hurt so I knew it was the flu and that it was going to be a long night. She threw up about five times that night and finally fell asleep on the couch next to me at like 5 a.m. When she woke up at 10 she was bright eyes and ready to eat and play. She felt completely fine so I was thrilled that this was just a short flu again. All that day she was fine, she ate a ton, went to swim lessons, and Jared took her to young men's because they were swimming at a pool that she loves. I have heard from everyone that she was the crazy one of the whole bunch that night jumping and doing things that some of the YM and YW were scared to do.
| She wanted to eat a ton after she got some IV fluids in her. She hasn't really eaten anything since then. |
She went to bed okay and then an hour later she starts crying and we go up there and she had thrown up all over her bed. So we brought her down again and she proceeded to throw-up about 10 times through out the night! In the morning her ketones were really high and the only way to bring them down is to drink a lot of water and get an insulin shot. Well, she didn't want to eat or drink anything and I couldn't give her a shot because her blood sugars were barely in the 100's. It was like 6 in the morning and her ketones were 2.1 which is really bad. So I tried to call Jared like 10 times and paged him over and over. No response.
So I called Karen the Diabetes specialist who was not in the office yet. Left her message. Called the pager for the on-call endocrine doc. Then just waited for someone to call me back. Finally like an hour later Jared called back, he had been swimming so he didn't see the call. He told me to bring her in to the ER. The endocrin called as well and said the same thing. Thank goodness the Endocrine on call was a reservest Dr. Straight who is way nice and soooo much better than Kai's normal endocrin who we both dislike. I dropped McKean off at the Keck's house thankfully and took Kai in. She got right back and they put in an IV which she didn't even flinch on. The nurse was shocked and kept saying I have never seen a kid that did so good with an IV. Of course she hated it once it was in and kept crying about it. The location definitely was not the best for a kid. Anyways, she was doing better and the gave her a bunch of fluids and then she got really hungry and wanted to eat. She ended up eating a ton of food. They kept her for awhile to make sure she was going to hold down the food and then we headed home. Of course she threw-up when we got home and Jared ended up taking her back in that evening. They admitted her into the peds ward and Jared spent the night with her. She did pretty good that night and did not throw up more than once or twice.
Her ketones were still pretty high.
I came early the next morning and the three of us just hung out all day!! Kai didn't feel great yet so she mostly stayed in bed the whole time and didn't want to eat anything or drink. McKean was getting very antsy and bored there. I didn't bring him that many toys. It was mostly really boring. Kai just wanted to watch the Tinkerbell movie over and over again.
She is smiling here but that was really rare. She would not look at or speak to or smile for any of the doctors or nurses which is really odd for Kai.
Jared was in the O.R. all day but would come down and check on us.
Poor McKean had to take his naps in his car seat in the bathtub. Just so we could block out as much noise as possible for the kid. He didn't like it very much and now cries every time I put him in his seat.
She was still not feeling great, not eating and had High ketones Thrusday night so she again stayed the night and poor Jared stayed with her. I would have if I would have been better prepared and brought a pump so Jared could take McKean home. It was really strange for me to be home and to go to bed without Kailie here. I have never been home when she is not and that was strange and did not feel right.
That night was not so good, Kai was up most of the night and they were both exhausted when I got there in the morning. Thankfully Jared didn't really have to work too much on Friday and he was able to go home for a few hours.
I was on a mission to get Kai to eat at least something so I took her out and let her pick anything she wanted from the two different cafeteria's. She picked all this food and then wouldn't eat any of it except some baby food pears and a banana which she then proceeded to throw-up all over. Any time she ate she would complain that her tummy hurt but then she would grab her throat. I am sure her throat was just so raw from all the acid in the throw-up.
Poor Kiddo!
Poor Kiddo!
Even though she threw-up she was feeling so much better and just wanted to get out and play. She pushed McKean all over the ward while I walked behind bringing her IV and played in the toy room.
They both rode in the the wagon to get food and then McKean used it as a play area.
On our way to get some dinner.
Yes, she doesn't have any shoes.
In the rush to get there we forgot to bring her some.
She pushed her little car all down the hallway.
Yes, she doesn't have any shoes.
In the rush to get there we forgot to bring her some.
She pushed her little car all down the hallway.
And had to push the elevator buttons. I just really felt it was time for her to come home. She was off the IV and even though she wasn't eating a ton she was at least eating. Her ketones were down and her blood sugar was back down. I personally hate hospitals and feel as though it is hard to truly get better in a hospital because A) you get no sleep since they are constantly checking and poking and prodding you and B) you just heal better in a comfortable environment where you have your normal foods and comforts. I left Friday evening around 8 pm since McKean was freaking out and refused to fall asleep in his carseat and thought for sure since it was already so late that she would be spending the night again. But Jared was able to work his magic and got her released. It took them awhile to get everything done and they didn't get home till after 11pm but it was the best feeling in the world to have Kai back home. She slept really well, her ketones did go up that night but we were able to bring them back down and each day she is getting back to her normal happy self and is even eating more food finally.
This was a horrible flu and it seems to be going around. I just hope this sort of thing is rare for us. Now people might understand why I am super crazy about her not being around other sick kids. The only good thing to come out of this was that we really like the endocrine doctor that we met and are going to look into switching to her even though she is at a civilian practice.
4 comments:
That is so sad!
Such a hard time! I'm so glad she is back to normal!
That is so scary I hope she is all better!!
That is so scary I hope she is all better!!!
Post a Comment